Upgrade Your Peace of Mind
Set on a hill overlooking the Don Valley near the intersection of Yonge Street and York Mills Avenue, St. John’s York Mills is the oldest Anglican parish church in Toronto and will celebrate it’s 200th year in 2016. A long time client of Connectability, they recently experienced a sudden power outage.
When the power came back on, they discovered that one of the hard drives on their server had failed, leaving them without any of their data.
That was the bad news. But here’s the good news: they were prepared! How? Well, here’s the short list:
- They had already made the decision to purchase a new server.
- They had a complete cloud backup of all their data files.
And finally, fortunately, we were able to get the hard drive repaired, pending the arrival of their new server.
So what can we learn from this? Here are a few important lessons:
- Make certain that you have accurate, current backups, ideally at an offsite location like the cloud.
- Don’t let your hardware become obsolete or out-of-warranty.
- Be alert for warning signs of problems: strange messages on your server console, unusually slow performance or odd network behaviour. Any of these can be an indicator of an imminent problem.
Remember: a little bit of prevention goes a long way!